Mindfulness for Health & Wellbeing Course
This 8 week course offers an opportunity to learn new ways of handling difficult thoughts, emotions and physical sensations. Participants become more able to deal with stress, pain, illness and the challenges and demands of everyday life.
The primary intentions of the course are to help you develop an in-depth experience of mindfulness and build the foundations of a sustained meditation practice that you can use in your daily life and professional work to live life with greater ease and kindness.
The course consists of eight sessions and you’ll use gentle but powerful practices to uncover and put into practice the innate resources that you have to live your life feeling calmer yet more vital, more confident and more resilient.
Over a two month period you will learn and experience simple meditation practices to explore what it means to live more fully in the present moment and how doing so actually helps you deal with life’s challenges. The practices, which include mindfulness of the body and breath and mindful movement are all interwoven with group activities and discussions to help you find your own personal pathway to health and wellbeing.
You will explore how to bring mindfulness into your daily life, work and communication with others, and how mindfulness can help with stress and anxiety.
For anyone seeking to train as a mindfulness teacher this course closely follows the same framework as the Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) course originally devised by Jon Kabat-Zinn and therefore satisfies one of the pre-requisites of a mindfulness teacher training pathway.
This 8 week course can help you:
Ease stress and worry Manage challenging health problems Respond more creatively to challenges at home and work Improve relationships and communication with others Feel more calm, confident, resourceful and resilient Unlock your own capacity for enjoyment and appreciation Develop a sense of peace amidst the busyness of life Find greater clarity and focus Live life with greater meaning, purpose and kindness Deepen your mindfulness and meditation practice
There are many potential benefits which flow from the practice of mindfulness and 30 years of published studies and research indicate that the majority of people who complete the course report:
- An increased ability to relax and an improvement in quality and duration of sleep
- The ability to cope more effectively with stress and anxiety, depression, anger and panic states
- The ability to cope better with chronic pain and reduction in pain levels
- Improved self-esteem and confidence
- An improved immune system thus helping to fight off colds, flu and other diseases
- Particular effectiveness in helping people with the following conditions: cancer, fibromyalgia, psoriasis, generalised anxiety disorder and depression and multiple sclerosis
- Improved memory, faster reaction times and increased physical stamina
- More fulfilling relationships
- Greater enthusiasm, creativity and increased energy levels
- Relief from drug and alcohol dependence
- Greater self-awareness and knowing how to take better care of themselves
- Having a greater zest for life and mindfully spending time doing things they truly value
- Weight loss
What can I expect?
In the first four weeks we lay the foundation for applying mindfulness in our lives. We develop concentration and become conscious of the movements of our mind and body. During the second four weeks we begin to understand our habitual patterns and perception of the moment and learn new skills to meet and respond to life’s rich experiences.
The course will comprise:
- An initial no obligation telephone chat – A 20 minute informal interview is required to answer any questions you may have and to discuss whether the course is right for you at this time.
- 8 Weekly Classes – 2.5 hour sessions, with mindfulness meditation and/or mindful movement supported by group activities and discussions.
- Home Practice Commitment – Up to 45 mins of ‘formal’ practice per day, 6 days out of 7 is expected of mindfulness meditations or gentle mindful movements, as well as mindful daily life activities.
- Mindfulness Audio/CD and Workbook – To support you in your mindfulness practice and learning and offering an opportunity for reflection of your experiences.
- Trainer Support – If you have any questions during the course or feel the need for extra support in between classes you can contact the trainer by phone or email.
- Silent Day Retreat – An additional guided silent day is offered to immerse yourself more in the practices.
This course is highly experiential and requires a degree of commitment. We tend to be creatures of habit and changing our ways can bring challenges. This is almost always true when learning new skills. As we learn to bring closer attention to our experiences we can feel more vulnerable until a greater sense of ease emerges. However the majority of people who have completed the Mindfulness for Health and Wellbeing 8 week course say that they have found the experience extremely beneficial and rewarding.
Participants that benefit most from this course:
- Attend at least 6 of the 8 sessions (shorter catch up sessions for missed sessions can be done over the phone or Skype at an additional cost).
- Allocate time to do formal practices each day or as often as practicably.
- Show a willingness to use informal mindfulness practices in everyday life over the duration of the course.
- Attend the all-day silent retreat